LG has a series of home appliances. Like other appliances, you can depend on their washing machines. LG has both top load and front load washers. Generally, consumers get troubleless service years after years from LG washing machines. But it is a machine and it can fall electrically or mechanically. That’s why you should know LG washing machine problems and solutions. In most cases, you can easily solve these problems, without the need of others. These troubleshooting tips will not only save your money but also save your time.
Lg Washing Machine Repair Guide
Here are most common repairing guidelines. You should try all of them before calling a repairman.
Washer won’t spin
- Lid Switch Assembly: If the lid switch is open, lid switch assembly prevents your washer from spinning. When the lid switch assembly fails to close the lid properly, your machine won’t spin. You need a multimeter to test the lid switch continuity. If you discovered that the lid switch has no continuity yet, replace it with a new one.
- Drive Belt: Is the motor connected directly with the wash drum? If yes, you won’t face lg direct drive washing machine problems with belt. You will only face belt problem if the motor is connected to the wash drum with belt. If the drive belt is broken or dive belt is loose on the pulleys, your machine won’t spin. So, inspect drive belt carefully. If you find problems with the drive belt, replace it to solve the problem.
- Motor Coupling: Motor coupling works as a connector between the motor and the washing machine transmission. An overloaded machine result negatively in the motor coupling and your machine stops spinning. Besides, normal wear also results in motor coupling failure. So, if your washing machine stops spinning, inspect for any broken motor coupling. If it is broken, replace it.
- Door Latch: In order to spin your washing machine, it’s door must be latch shut. If the door is not latch shut, door switch assembly won’t let the washer to start a spin. Door latch can be damaged electrically or mechanically. So, inspect the door latch switch with a multimeter and replace it if you don’t get continuity in door latch switch or the door latch itself is damaged mechanically.
- Motor Control Board: If the motor control board is defective the motor will malfunction or won’t at all. Firstly, find out the burnt component on the board. Secondly, check the main control board whether it is passing power to the motor or not. If the board is getting power but not passing it to the motor, your washer’s main control board is defective. So, replacing it will solve your problem.
Washer is making loud noise
- Tub Bearing: Tub bearing helps the inner tub spinning smoothly. It mounts in the middle of the outer tub. A broken or damaged tub bearing makes a loud sound. Replacing a tub bearing needs disassembling most of the parts of the washer. If the bearing is defective, it is better to change both the bearing and the outer tub.
- Rear Drum with Bearing: Rear drum works smoothly with the help of bearings. If the bearings are defective, your washer will be noisy. So, replacing it will solve noise problem. If your washer model doesn’t allow you to purchase bearings separately, you need to change rear drum with bearing.
- Transmission: A worn out or defective transmission causes loud sound during operation. But transmission is the least defective parts. So, check all other possible causes before replacing the transmission.
- Drain Pump: A clogged or defective drain pump makes loud sound during operation. Small objects or articles of clothing can enter into the drain pump and prevents it from smooth operation. So, check the drain pump for any obstructions and remove them. If the drain pump is still noisy even after removing the obstructions, replace the drain pump.
- Drive Motor: A worn out drive motor bearing makes noise while washer works. You need to remove drive belt from the motor and run it to determine that the drive motor is working properly. If the drive motor is making a loud sound, replace it.
Washer won’t agitate
- Agitator Repair Kit: Agitator kit contains agitator components that have possibility of wear out or fail. If these components fail, your washing machine won’t agitate. If any components in the agitator kit are worn out or damaged, you must replace the whole agitator kit to solve agitate problem.
- Drive Block or Bell: Drive Block is used as the connector between the washer transmission and the agitator. If it is worn out or damaged, washer transmission will move back and forth but the agitator will move a little bit or won’t move at all. So, inspect the drive block and replace it if you find it damaged.
- Drive Belt: A broken, worn out or loose drive belt is the cause of not agitating your washing machine. So, inspect it carefully. If the drive belt is broken or damaged, you must replace it to solve agitate problem.
- Motor Coupling: Motor Coupling is necessary for connecting the motor with the washer transmission. If your washer is overloaded, it fails to protect motor and transmission. Normal wear also causes Motor coupling failure. So, inspect it for any damage. If Motor coupling is damaged, replace it.
- Motor Control Board: Motor control board not only provides power to the motor but also control the motor. If it is damaged or burnt out, motor won’t work at all. Firstly, inspect the control board for any burnt out components. Secondly, check the control board whether it is passing power to the motor or not. If the board is getting power but it is not passing power to the motor, it is sure that the motor control board is defective. So, repair lg washing machine with a new motor control board.
Washer won’t drain
- Drain Pump: Generally, drain pump works fine. But when a small piece of objects or particles get caught in the drain pump, your washer will face draining issues. So, remove the drain pump, look for any type of obstructions and remove them. If the drain pump is still making sound or malfunctioning, replace it.
- Clogged Drain Hose: Your washer will face a draining problem if socks or other small pieces of clothes enter into the drain pipe and clogged drain. That’s why remove the drain hose, check for any obstacles. If you see anything that is preventing your washer from drain, remove them. You can also straighten the drain hose if it is kinked, twisted, or bent.
- Door Lock and Switch Assembly: Door lock secures the washer when it is operating. Your washing machine will only work when the door is latch shut properly. If the door lock is defective your LG washer won’t drain. Door lock can face electric or mechanical failure. Take a multimeter and inspect door lock switches for continuity according to your washer’s wiring diagram. If you find any defective switch, replace it.
- Lid Switch Assembly: Your washer won’t drain if the lid is open. If the lid switch assembly is defective, it fails to detect a closed lid. That’s why it prevents the washer to run. Take a multimeter and test each of the lid switches properly for their continuity. If any switch doesn’t show continuity, replace them to solve draining problem.
- Water Pump Belt: Especially, older type of LG washers are equipped with water pump belt. If it is broken or worn out your washer will face draining problems. So, inspect the belt and replace it if it is broken, worn out or shows signs of excessive wear.
LG washing machine water leaking solution
- Drain Pump: Drain pump drains water through the hose. If it is damaged or its bearings become worn out, your washer may leak water. Drain pump is not repairable. So, replace it with a new one.
- Tub Seal: A worn-out tub seal results in water leaking problem. A problematic tub seal also causes bearing failure. That’s why if tub leaks water, it is better to change both tub seal and the tub bearings. Remember that you need to disassemble most of the washer to replace tub seal and tub bearings.
- Door Boot Seal: With the time growing, door boot seal becomes worn out and leaks water. If your find a torn door boot in your washing machine, you must replace it to solve water leaking problem.
- Drain Hose: Water may leak from drain hose. Most common leaking point is the connection between the pump of washer and back of the washer. So, check the mentioned point and solve it. Apart from that, if your washer is pushed against the wall, its drain hose can be rubbed against the wall and form a leak.
LG Washer vibrating or shaking troubleshooting
- Shock Absorber: The shock absorber reduces the vibration of the washer tub. If one or more shock absorber is damaged, your washing machine will vibrate or shake. Sometimes, Shock absorber can be separated due to changing washer’s location. So, inspect the shock absorber and position them correctly. Also, look for any damaged shock absorber and replace them as necessary.
- Suspension Rod: The suspension rod dampens the vibration while your washer’s tub moves. If one or more suspension road is damaged, your washer will sound loud. So, inspect the suspension roads for any fault. If you find any broken suspension road, replace them.
- Counter Balance Spring: Your washer vibrates while the washer tub moves. The counter balance spring dampens most of the vibration. If the counter balance spring is broken, your washer will be unbalanced and shake violently. So, inspect the counter balance spring. If you find any broken spring, replace it to solve shaking problem. Apart from that you also need to replace the frame where the counter balance spring is attached, if it is rusted.
- Snubber Ring & Pad: The snubber ring & pad work to reduce the vibration of washer tub. If they are worn out, missing, or coated with sticky things (detergent, fabric softener etc.), your washer will vibrate violently. So, inspect and replace if snubber ring & pads are worn out or missing.
- Rear Drum with Bearing: Inner tub runs smoothly with the help of one or more bearing. If the bearings become broken, your washer develops a bad vibration. So, inspect the rear drum bearing. If you get broken bearing, replace it with a new one. Removing and pressing bearings is a tough task. So, it is better to replace bearings and outer tub at a time.
- Leveling Leg: If your washer is not level, it will develop a bad vibration. So, inspect and adjust the leveling leg as necessary. Also, remember to lock the legs from getting loose.
Washer fills slowly or won’t fill at all
- Water Inlet Valve: When you operate your washing machine, water inlet valve opens and lets water enter the machine. If the valve is defective your washer will fill slowly or won’t fill at all. Apart from that water inlet valve needs sufficient water pressure to operate smoothly. To solve water fill problem, ensure that your home water has at least 20 psi water pressure. If the problem continues, replace the valve.
- Water Inlet Hose: A damaged, kinked, twisted, or bent inlet water hose is also responsible for water not filling problems. So, straighten water inlet hose properly before using the machine. If it is damaged, you must replace it.
Washer won’t start
- Timer: If your washer timer malfunction, your washer fails to start. Use a multimeter to check the continuity of the timer according to the washer wiring diagram. If it is defective, replace it. In most of the cases, timer is misdiagnosed. Before replacing it, inspect all other defective parts.
- Control Panel and Display: Press all of the buttons from the control panel. If some of the buttons work but others don’t, it means that the problem is with control panel. Check the wire connection before replacing the board. If everything is OK but the control board is not responding accurately, replace it. If your washer model allows you to replace control board individually from the display, only replace it. Otherwise, you need to replace both control board and display.
- Line Fuse: Line fuse is used to save your washer from an unwanted accident caused by electricity. It blows when washer’s electric circuits are overloaded. Take a multimeter and test the line fuse. If it is blown you must replace it to solve the start problem. You also need to resolve any shorted components like wires, motor, or drain pump before starting the machine. Otherwise, new line fuse will blow too.
- Main Control Board: A defective main control board can prevent your washer from starting. But it is the least defective part of your washer. Before replacing main control board you should check all other defective parts.
- Incoming Power Problem: Have you checked incoming electricity outlet board? If the outlet doesn’t have power, your washer won’t get power and won’t start. If the outlet is not getting power check the home electric circuit breaker or fuses.
- Door Lock: Door lock saves your washer from any accident during the operation. If the lock is open, your washer will get power but it won’t start. If the door lock is defective, your washer won’t start. Door lock fails electrically or mechanically. Take a multimeter and test door lock switches according to your washer wiring diagram. If you get any defective switches change the whole lock.
- Power Cord: If the electric outlet is getting power but your washer is not getting power, the problem is with the power cord. You can test your washing machine’s power cord with a multimeter. If the power cord is not passing power to the washer, you can troubleshoot lg washer by replacing it.
LG washing machine overflowing problem
- Water Inlet Valve: Shut off your washer while it is filling water. If it is still filling water without a power connection, its water inlet valve is defective. So, replace it to solve washer overflowing problem.
- Pressure Switch: When water reaches a certain level, pressure switch shuts off power and water filling becomes stopped. If pressure switch fails, washer continues filling water and results in overflow. Before replacing pressure switch, ensure that the air tube to the pressure switch is clear of debris and not leaking.
- House Water Supply Pressure: Your LG washer’s inlet valve needs at least 20psi water pressure to work properly. If water inlet valve doesn’t get proper pressure, it continues water filling even after power shut off that causes overflow. So, ensure that your home water supply has sufficient pressure to work your LG machine properly.
LG washer stops mid cycle
- Door Lock Motor and Switch Assembly: Door lock is necessary for securing washing machine while it operates. When door is closed, washer begins operating. If the door is not latch shut properly, door switch prevents washer from operating. When the door lock is defective, your LG machine may stop in the mild cycle. Washer door lock can fail mechanically or electrically. Check door lock for any mechanical damage. If it is damaged, replace it. Besides, test the door lock with a multimeter according to your washer’s diagram for any electrical failure. If you find any door lock switches that have no continuity, replace them.
- Lid Switch Assembly: If lid is open, lid switch assembly prevents washer from spinning. If it fails, your washer may stop in the mid-cycle. Take a multimeter and test lid switches for continuity. If you find a lid switch that has no continuity, replace it.
- Water Inlet Valve: Water enters into the washer through water inlet valve. When the rinse cycle starts, water inlet valve allows water to enter. At this time, if water inlet valve fails, washer continues waiting for water that causes washer to stop in the mid-cycle. Inspect water inlet valve with a multimeter for continuity. If it doesn’t have continuity, replace it.
- Main Control Board: Your LG machine may stop in the mid-cycle when it’s main control board is defective. As it is the least problematic parts of your washer, you should check all other commonly possible parts before replacing it.
- Timer: A defective timer is liable for stopping washer in the mid-cycle. Use a multimeter and test the timer for continuity. If the timer has no continuity, replace it. Note that the timer is often misdiagnosed. That’s why you should check all other parts before replacing them.
The above stated LG washing machine problems and their solutions are very much practical. You can easily solve most of your washer’s issues by following them. In this case, you only need to spend on parts. If you are a new LG user, you may find them a little bit tough. If the problem is very tough and needs to disassemble most of the parts of your washer, it is a wise decision to hire an expert repairman.