If you were to ask me what is one kitchen purchase I swear by, without missing a heartbeat, I would say my Vitamix blender. It has become a running joke in my family just how much I stand by it!
Whether it be thick soups or raw fruits, what can’t be blended by the mighty gadget? As I use my blender a lot, it tends to get quite dirty too. And cleaning it manually once seemed like quite a tedious task.
This led me to wonder, is Vitamix dishwasher safe? It turns out that only certain models are. And even then, a dishwasher is said to impact the longevity of the product.
Nevertheless, let’s delve deeper into the question and its alternative solutions, to give Vitamix blenders the care they deserve!
Vitamix blender in a dishwasher: A bad idea?
Let’s begin with the Vitamix appliances that are top-shelf dishwasher safe.
- The 20-ounce and 40-ounce Vitamix S-series
- The Vitamix S30
In both models, elements, including the lid, exterior container, blade base, lid, and seals, are safe to be put into a dishwasher. For the rest of the models, dishwashers are not even a question.
And even for ones that are dishwasher safe, it is recommended that they are manually cleaned.
Why is this so?
Well, since the power of Vitamix blenders come from its stainless steel blades, anything that deteriorates its quality cannot be your friend, right? And dishwashers, when used frequently, can corrode these stainless steel blades, thereby reducing the durability of the blender.
Not to mention that a given plastic or glass pitcher can be as durable as possible; its surface is never completely prone to scratches.
You can never be sure that a given appliance will come out of your dishwasher scratch-free. As someone who hates unaesthetic appliances, the thought of this was something I knew I couldn’t deal with.
Can you put the Vitamix blender in a dishwasher?
Just to reiterate, for those of you who are still wondering if Vitamix blenders can still be placed in a dishwasher despite not being certified, know that you can’t. Not unless you want to damage your poor Vitamix blender!
Dishwashers use heat to clean items. And high heat is bad for the plastic used in blenders. Since most models of Vitamix are not dishwasher safe, putting them in the dishwasher regardless will be detrimental to their durability.
So, the final answer as to whether or not you can buy Vitamix blenders that are not dishwasher safe in a dishwasher? You can’t!
What parts of Vitamix are dishwasher safe?
For models that are certified to be dishwasher safe, including the S30 and S-series, the entirety of Vitamix blenders can be washed through a dishwasher. However, care must be taken to place each part in the top rack only and in no other space.
This is because bottom racks experience more heat and the Vitamix components are at risk of being corroded and damaged if placed at the bottom. Considering that dishwashers reduce the lifespan of the appliance in any case, it is better to follow instructions to minimize damage.
For models that are not certified as being dishwasher safe, none of their elements, be it the container or the lid, should be placed inside the dishwasher. This is because they probably cannot withstand the heat or rigorous cleaning of dishwashers.
The art of cleaning a Vitamix blade: Steps to take
Truth be told, the one thing I hate about any blender is tackling the blades. Growing up, I watched too many horror movies, and all forms of blades freak me out!
While I am sure you probably don’t have this phobia, the chances are that blades are still your least favorite part to clean. (If not, I salute you!)
Cleaning removable Vitamix blades
I found this excellent step-by-step cleaning process that helped simplify the Vitamix blade cleaning process. It might be of help for all those who get perplexed at the thought of cleaning blades.
- If you have a Vitamix blender with removable blades, unscrew it and take it apart from the container.
- Use warm water to thoroughly rinse the blender.
- Add a few drops of dish soap, and then fill the container halfway with warm water.
- Take a cleaning brush and remove all food residue that is stuck on the sides of the plastic/glass container.
- Once done, pour out the water and rinse the appliance again.
- Wash the blade that you took out in the first step and clean it very carefully with your hands (watch your fingers!).
- To clean the blade, use warm soapy water and rinse properly to eliminate any residual soap.
- Dry the blade and container and reattach it.
Cleaning full-size irremovable Vitamix blades
The above-mentioned steps only work for Vitamix blenders that have removable blades.
If you have a full-size blender that cannot be disassembled for cleaning, don’t worry. The same steps will be used for cleaning the container, and the blades must be cleaned as part of the container.
For best results, all you have to do is soak the blade in warm soapy water before cleaning it. For persistent residue, you can add apple cider to the soapy water and then soak it for some time before washing it all off with tap water.
Deep cleaning the Vitamix Blender: How to do it?
Experts recommend that all Vitamix blenders need to be deep-cleaned at least once every month. Now, just how much deep cleaning is required depends on the state the blender is in. For ease, I am dividing the guide accordingly. Identify which description best describes your blender and follow the steps accordingly.
Cleaning a seemingly clean blender
Do you think your Vitamix container looks clean to begin with? Can you see through the blender with ease? If so, to deep clean it, you must:
- Mix four cups of white vinegar with equal parts of cool water.
- Pour the mixture into the container.
- Allow the container to soak for approximately 4 hours.
- After the stipulated time, pout out the mixture and rinse the container with a soft brush or sponge thoroughly.
- Use a towel to dry it once you are done.
Cleaning a cloudy container
Does your Vitamix blender look like it belongs with the clouds? Is there a white hue that restricts you from seeing through the container? If so, your container will need a more thorough deep cleaning. To clean it, you might want to:
- Mix three tablespoons of water to a half cup of baking soda and mix it well until a thick paste is formed.
- Spread this paste as evenly as possible inside the container.
- Let the paste sit in its place for approximately 20 minutes.
- Then, use a cloth or a soft-bristle brush to rub off the paste and the mineral build up along with it. Slight pressure will be needed here. Don’t overdo it!
- Repeat the process if you think your container is still cloudy.
- Once satisfied with the outcome, rinse the container properly to clean any paste residue.
- Dry the container using a towel.
Such a cloudy container usually is a result of the buildup of minerals from fruits, nuts, vegetables, and green powders. To avoid arriving in the situation in the first place, after every blend, wash the container properly to avoid the buildup of cloudy minerals.
Cleaning a stained container
There is a difference between stains and a cloudy hue. Is your Vitamix blender pigmented? For instance, does it have the red color of tomatoes or the yellow hint of turmeric?
If so, the above-mentioned steps won’t work on it on their own. Instead, you should:
- Put the Vitamix Blender out in the sun to allow the UV light to break down the persistent stains.
- Once your blender has soaked the sun, use the baking soda paste from the section above to try and clean the stains.
How to clean Vitamix blenders without a dishwasher?
There are two main ways of cleaning a Vitamix blender without a dishwasher; by hand or via the self-cleaning setting.
Cleaning by hand
As much as I once hated manually cleaning my Vitamix blender, I have grown to like the task. There is something therapeutic about washing dishes. And once you get into the habit of doing it, it starts coming naturally to you!
Here are steps you can follow:
- After use, rinse the blender immediately by using warm water.
- Add drops of dish soap into the container and use a sponge to gently clean all parts, including the lid, blade, and container. Move the sponge in a soft circular motion when cleaning.
- Rinse away the contents with warm water.
The self-cleaning setting
Now, this method is not applicable to all Vitamix blenders.
So, check your model first to see if it can self-clean itself. If it can, you must:
- Begin by using warm water to rinse away the residue and contents of the blender.
- Add drops of dish soap into the Vitamix blender.
- Fill the blender with warm water up until it’s half-full.
- Close the lid and ensure that it is secure. Then, press the “clean” button on the blender.
- Let the Vitamix blender do its trick. It will automatically stop once it is done with its cleaning cycle.
- Pour out the soapy water and rinse the blender again to eliminate all soap residue.
- Air dry both the container and the lid.
- For cleaning the blade, you will have to do it separately if you think it is still dirty.
How to clean Vitamix blenders in a dishwasher?
Just like the answer of ‘can a ninja blender go in the dishwasher?’, the answer for Vitamix’s relationship with a dishwasher is quite toxic. Even when it can be placed inside a dishwasher, it shouldn’t.
But, at times, a dishwasher is the only option. After all, not everyone has the time to manually clean their appliances every day!
If you have a dishwasher-safe Vitamix blender and you want to use the machine to reduce your cleaning woes, all you have to do is, disassemble the blender and place it on the top shelf of the dishwasher. And voila, your job is done!
It stinks! How to remove bad smells from Vitamix blenders?
I can’t say for you, but my poor Vitamix blender has seen it all! Since these blenders are so powerful, I use them for all sorts of stuff, including soups and spices. And at times, when I am feeling lazy, I don’t properly clean them either.
I remember how this one manifested into such a pungent odor that I was convinced that I had to let my blender go. But then, a friend told me of a way to eliminate the odor, and it actually worked like a charm!
So, if your blender too smells like garlic, peppers, creamy soup, or onion, the following steps might be of help:
- Pour two cups of warm water into your Vitamix container along with one cut-up lemon.
- Close the lid and ensure that it is secure in its place.
- Turn the dial of the blender on with the low setting.
- Slowly move the dial up to 10 to increase the blending speed.
- Run it like this for up to a minute.
- Pour out the lemon and water mixture and rinse both the container and the lid.
- Use a towel to dry the parts of the blender. Check to see if any smell persists. If it does, repeat the steps.
Final Discussion: Is Vitamix Dishwasher Safe?
Is Vitamix Dishwasher Safe? Now that you know all there is to know about Vitamix blender cleaning, I am sure you are ready to tackle all cleaning-related challenges that come with owning such kitchen appliances.
To sum it up, is the Vitamix dishwasher safe? Mostly not. And even for ones that are, it is better to stay away from the dishwasher. So, it’s time to let the appliance blend and use your hands to clean!