Laundry is one of the most common tasks that we do daily as our parents did. From the invention of the washing machine, there are a few best top loading washing machine with agitator that still have strong sales. There is no strong complaint of creating odor build-up and loud vibrations about top load washers.
So, what is an agitator? An agitator is a vertical column that is equipped with fins or vanes that sticks up in the middle of the wash drum of a top load washer. During wash cycles, it moves ideally back and forth to help clothes in receiving a decent amount of water and detergent to remove dirt and stain from them.
Luckily, times have passed and the agitator washers have been blessed with modern design and improvements like dual-action agitators, stainless steel wash baskets and soft-close hinges. For the increasing demand of consumers, appliance companies have introduced lots of models based on agitators in front of us which are not only sophisticated but also efficient.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Top Loading Washing Machine with Agitator Reviews
- 1.1 1. Speed Queen TR3000WN 26 Inch Top Load Washer with 3.2 cu. ft. Capacity
- 1.2 2. Frigidaire FFTW4120SW Top Load Washer with Agitator
- 1.3 3. Fisher Paykel WashSmart WA3927G1 Flexible Finned Agitator Washer
- 1.4 4. Speed Queen TR7000WN – Best Agitator Washing Machine
- 1.5 5. Maytag MVWC465HW 3.8 cu. ft. High-Efficiency White Top Load Washer
- 1.6 6. Whirlpool WTW4616FW Agitator 3.5 Cu. Ft. Washer
- 1.7 7. GE GTW685BSLWS Washer with Stainless Steel Basket 4.5 Cu. Ft. Capacity
- 2 Buying Guide for Agitator Washing Machine
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 3.1 Is an agitator washer better?
- 3.2 Can you add an agitator to a washing machine?
- 3.3 Is an impeller better than an agitator?
- 3.4 Should I buy a washer with an agitator?
- 3.5 How long should an agitator washer last?
- 3.6 Is it better to have an agitator in a washing machine?
- 3.7 Is porcelain or stainless steel better for washers?
- 4 Takeaway
Best Top Loading Washing Machine with Agitator Reviews
For a decade, our expert team has been testing trending washers in our appliance lab. They have tested more than hundreds of washer to figure out how well they remove stains, their usage of water, their energy efficiency and how gently they behave on our clothing. Now the result is in our hands. According to the test result, we have listed 7 best top load agitator washer 2020 below.
1. Speed Queen TR3000WN 26 Inch Top Load Washer with 3.2 cu. ft. Capacity
Speed Queen is well known for making commercial grade washer. The performance of their washer is great and also comes with a long time warranty. This Speed Queen TR3000WN is an agitator type washer which washing capacity is 3.2 cu. ft with the energy consumption of 64kW per year. For more durability, its wash tub is made with stainless steel. The amazing thing is that TR3000WN is designed, tested and built to offer a commercial grade experience of 25 years.
Speed Queen TR3000WN has auto water level sensor to confirm that each load gets sufficient water for making an efficient wash. Its agitator rotates with a series of short and long strokes to make a detailed wash. You will get 4 wash cycles from it that include Heavy Duty, Normal Eco, Perm Press and Delicate. The dynamic auto balancing technology of this front load washer works to reduce vibration. Just like another front load washer you will get it completely noise free.
- Durable Stainless Steel Tub ensures long-lasting excellent performance.
- Solid Mount Suspension System provides less vibration and longer machine life.
- Autofill system ensures that every clothes get enough water for an effective wash.
- Four preset cycles that include Heavy Duty, Normal Eco, Perm Press and Delicate.
- Auto Balancing System detects your uneven loads, adjusts loads and reduces noise.
2. Frigidaire FFTW4120SW Top Load Washer with Agitator
The Frigidaire FFTW4120SW is one of the best top load washer with agitator in 2020 that comes with innovative features but its relatively budget friendly. It is specially designed to be highly energy efficient and also to use high efficiency detergents. Though this machine isn’t certified by Energy Star, it’s all other features still capable of satisfying you.
Comparatively, its 4.1 cubic foot washing capacity isn’t so high but it’s still enough to handle your daily loads. This washer comes with a stainless steel tub where its traditional agitator can perform its duty smoothly. FFTW4120SW offers you many options for soil levels and temperatures. But modern machines may offer you more. According to the consumers, the feature “Favorite Cycle” button is liked by all. By using this button, you are able to save your preferred settings. So, you don’t need to select soil level, water temperature and other settings every time for washing clothing.
- Stainless steel drum with agitator ensures smooth and long lasting performance.
- Easy to use electronic controls with digital status lights.
- 12 wash cycles including Delicate, Hand Wash and Heavy Duty to meet your different types of laundry.
- Delay Start option lets you start a cycle on your schedule.
- Fabric softner dispenser automatically dispenses fabric softner during the cycle.
3. Fisher Paykel WashSmart WA3927G1 Flexible Finned Agitator Washer
WashSmart WA3927G1 offers a 3.9 cu. ft. capacity of wash load that can save your time and money. For better usability and durability, you will get quality controls, powder-coated metal lid, stainless steel wash basket and formed a cabinet and base plate. Saving energy, its Eco-Active wash provides you a better clean in quiet and vibration-free operation. It comes with a flexible finned agitator that ensures less tangling and provides great clothes care.
This Fisher Paykel washer can wash all common types of clothes that include dog beds, pillows, and delicates. When it is in full load we recommend you use a high water level. Though this machine is computerized, you also get knob controlling options. There is an auto-fill system along with manual fill. So, you have control over your water level.
- Fisher & Paykel comes with 3.9 cu. ft. capacity that enough to meet the laundry load of a large family.
- SmartDrive™ technology provides you quiet and dependable wash.
- Easy to use SmartTouch™ controls.
- Five wash cycles including Delicate and Easy Iron option.
- 1100RPM fast spin removes most of the water that helps to dry fast quickly.
4. Speed Queen TR7000WN – Best Agitator Washing Machine
Speed Queen TR7000WN offers 3.2 cu. ft. capacity with maximum cleanliness, full tub wash and rinse options. This machine is designed not only to deliver the best wash but also cares your clothes. A built-in water level sensor confirms that every load uses enough water. This machine comes with a 210-degree agitator that creates 60 strokes per minute. Its stainless steel tub and agitator works together to create premium like wash by moving the maximum amount of water through clothes.
Bleach and fabric softener dispenser is available in this machine. Its extra-rinse option confirms that your clothes are thoroughly cleaned of dirt and soapy residue. The steel base of this washer is built with heavy-duty springs to provide the best balance performance, less vibration, and longer machine life. Moreover, you can easily troubleshoot speed queen washer by yourself without spending extra repair costs.
- Solid Mount Suspension System features a full steel base with heavy-duty springs that provides less vibration and longer machine life.
- Durable Stainless Steel Tub is gentler on your fabrics and ensures long-lasting performance.
- Time Remaining Display eliminates when your laundry will be completed.
- Features Electronic TouchPad for easy control.
- Durable 3 coat finish resists years of wear and tear in coin Laundromats.
5. Maytag MVWC465HW 3.8 cu. ft. High-Efficiency White Top Load Washer
Maytag MVWC465HW is a top load washer with a pole agitator which is designed and built in America. The pole agitator helps in cleaning clothes by pushing the clothes against itself and one another in less tangling. Its stainless steel washtub has well reputation in washing clothes and also for its durability. This machine is easy to use. Just set the knobs and press the button to start it.
Apart from that, you will get maximum flexibility in your wash load from its 12 wash cycles, five temperature settings and four rinse options. Are you anxious about your highly stained clothes? No problem, its Power Wash cycle can remove the highest stain from all types of fabrics. Besides, this unit is ready to provide all features in quiet.
- 3.8 cu. ft. capacity is capable of tackling big and hamper-sized loads.
- Quick Wash cycle can clean small and lightly soiled items within 30 minutes.
- Excess detergent and fabric softener are cleaned away with Deep Rinse option.
- Built with rust-resistant Stainless Steel Drum that delivers premium performance.
- Auto-sensing option adjusts water level automatically for an effective wash.
6. Whirlpool WTW4616FW Agitator 3.5 Cu. Ft. Washer
Do you need a washer with a deep water wash option? Then Whirlpool WTW4616FW with 3.5 cu. ft. can be your perfect choice. Its powerful traditional dual action agitator helps detergent and water to clean dirt and stain from clothes effectively. This top loading washer cares your delicate clothes and also with other washables with the delicate cycles. Its wash basket comes with smooth porcelain that prevents your delicate fabric from snagging.
Whirlpool WTW4616FW works in almost in quiet and doesn’t shake as most of the washers do. Moreover, this machine comes with a good water level detector senses. So, there is no tension about water level. You can add clothes after the cleaning cycle starts. The control panel of this machine is easy to use. Even your child is capable of operating it. After all, you will get clean, sparkling and smelling clothes as you are getting new at the end of cycles.
- Traditional Dual Action Spiral Agitator provides excellent wash action with the best cleaning performance.
- White Porcelain Tub not only washes but also saves clothes from snagging.
- By using Add-a-Garment option, you can add garments that you left behind when it runs.
- 3.5 cu. ft. capacity is capable of handling your big items.
- Auto Fill option adjusts the water level according to your load that saves extra water usage.
7. GE GTW685BSLWS Washer with Stainless Steel Basket 4.5 Cu. Ft. Capacity
GE GTW685BSLWS is one of the top-rated washers in the market. This classic washer is equipped with 14 wash cycles to meet your every kind of clothes. You can monitor its wash load through a soft-close glass lid. This GE washer comes with a straightforward control panel that is easy to use. It comes with a knob in the control panel to select wash cycles. You mustn’t face any problem to clean this machine. Because this washer features a self cleaning cycle along with other wash cycles. For rising and spinning it has a separate wash cycle.
GE GTW685BSLWS is a HE machine. So, you need to use HE detergent to clean clothes. According to the test by Reviewed this washer runs for 38 minutes in the Normal cycle. But in emergency time you can use its Speed Wash that will give you clean clothes within 19 minutes. To provide a powerful reversing wash action this machine is featured with dual-action agitator. Its Deep Fill option customizes your water-fill levels with just the touch of a button. Apart from that, by selecting this Sanitize with Oxi option you can remove 99.9% bacteria from your clothes.
- A powerful dual-action agitator provides reversing wash action that results in sparkling clean fabrics.
- Features an auto-balance suspension system that reduces noise.
- Leveling legs help you to set it on an uneven surface.
- 5 Pre-programmed most common stain removal functions help to remove blood, tomato, wine, dirt and grass stain.
- Auto Soak function loosens stains by soaking up to 2 hours.
Buying Guide for Agitator Washing Machine
You need to spend a handsome amount of money to purchase an agitator type washing machine. All washing machines may not be suitable for you. To pick the best one follow our guidelines below.
Do you have queen size blanket or a comforter to wash? Do you have a joint family and needs to load huge amount of laundry at a time? If your answer is yes, go for bigger agitator washer. On the other hand, if your answer is negative, go for a small size washer. It will save your washer running cost.
Agitator washers are in big size. They consume lots of energy. But an energy-efficient washing machine may reduce your energy bill about 20 to 30 percent. So, always try to buy Energy Star certified washing agitator machine. Besides, they are eco-friendly too.
On average an agitator machine comes with many features like different washing cycles, self heating option, self cleaning, child lock, quick wash, auto balance adjustment sensor etc. Some of the machines are Bixby/Alexa enabled. That means you can control them from your office. You may not find all of the options in just a single washer. If you want more features, you need to spend more.
Agitator washers are in big size. Before ordering a unit, you need to measure its dimension and confirm you have enough space to set it. Otherwise, it will be a hassle for you.
Generally, an agitator washer comes with a bigger size than non-agitator washers. They are also heavier than common washers. If you live in your won apartment, it is OK to buy a heavy washer. On the other hand, if you live in a rental house, you should go for a lightweight washer. It will give you convenience in transport. Besides, rollers/casters increase portability.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is an agitator washer better?
Top load washers with no agitator are gentle to clothes. But they don’t provide as good cleaning performance as the agitator washers provide. Besides, traditional agitator washers have risk in damaging clothes but the latest models have the least risk.
Can you add an agitator to a washing machine?
If a washer that doesn’t come with a built-in agitator, you can’t add it. Only manufacturer add agitators to a washer through a complicated process. So, it’s better not to try. Otherwise, you may damage your washer.
Is an impeller better than an agitator?
Impeller machine creates gentler motion while it runs. So, there is no chance of damaging your clothes. On the other hand, agitator washers are brutal with clothes. So, there remain chances of twisting and tangling. But the latest model agitator machines care your clothes. Overall, agitator washers perform better than impeller washers.
Should I buy a washer with an agitator?
If you have big loads of deep dirty clothes, agitator washers are mandatory for you. Though you can clean clothes with impeller washers they don’t effective as agitator washers. Besides, modern agitator washers care your fabrics.
How long should an agitator washer last?
The average life span of an agitator machine is about 11 years. But Consumer Reports recommends replacing any appliance that is more than 8 years old unless it has a particular appeal to you.
Is it better to have an agitator in a washing machine?
Though there are potential risks of damaging clothes, agitator top load washers perform better cleaning. On the contrary, a washer without an agitator is gentler to clothes. But they are not as effective as agitator washer.
Is porcelain or stainless steel better for washers?
With the time growing, porcelain enamel chimps or wears away and exposes the underneath steel. Rust attacks steel and results in stain clothing. But a wash drum made with both plastic and stainless steel is durable and lasts long. Besides, there is no chance of stain clothing.
There are so many available options in your hand when you go for buying an agitator washer. You need to know a lot about different brands and models before buying one. But it’s time consuming and also confusing for an average customer like you to pick the right one.
Thanks to our researched team who have made this informative article on traditional agitator top load washer based on different e-commerce sites and consumers’ forums. Final decision is yours but it’s better to check our recommended best washing machine with agitator before finalizing your decision.